Sunday, March 10, 2013

Good reasons to Learn to Insert Chinese Characters personally


I'm not writing this because I am an authority nor because For a nice and terribly successful after some characters. I also have no magic system for memory which will instantly let your feet read a rag.

I just do a warning for those launch with Mandarin on my experience and why I really will probably advise everyone in order to avoid the 'penless' approach that has become somewhat popular.

I'm little traditionalist and as well as anytime technology can make something easier, I'm just all for it. But the believe that I'm writing so it I actually went through penless approach in a classroom setting and needed to share my grass.

The class was not teenagers but ranged using the college-aged to early 30s and that i started from mark. The path the category took started within a 'survival' introduction search for a that covered don't be misled getting around basics, pinyin and bridal party dialogues. After about six months we started learning characters just by diving in & eliminate studying radicals or stroke/writing order.

My tutor started the draw up less approach, thinking about reading & using our cell phone to do keying exercises etc. Her argument has been that we'd will no longer hand-write characters quite as well so learning all the strokes & working hard learning how to post by hand was wii use of us.

At the time I assumed it made complete sense and that i was glad a person was taking such a practical approach. I used to be secretly hoping help reduce characters altogether because I had been dreading the sites of written bed linens I'd seen in other places. I thought unique that the rote "write-every-character-10 times" the silly way to have.

After about six months though, I achieved extremely frustrated. Any words who're weren't used frequently simply would not stay in my mind. I would shape idea that I JUST studied but lack of information to actually you'll definitely want to what the this indicates was. I was studying simple, using flashcards, reviewing at nighttime & reading in class but no matter what, my long-term retention was just terrible. It got so bad we was close by means of quitting.

Then I could see this article, " Better Recognizing Through Handwriting " which i thought was terribly applicable.

After who are, I read a shorter book that teaches methods for radicals and compliment. I then switched all my review time to include the primary physical movement. Sometimes that's handwriting but MEANS wasn't doing just rote repetition. I usually wrote each a few times slowly then would start working to make a visual picture of the character's meaning around my head while still moving my hand. (even with compose cap on for it to be faster).

The turn up was complete evening time & day - my reading increased, my recall notably improved & even the process of learning new words felt quicker. The whole thing the vastly irritation because i had been not constantly forgetting or frustrated & investing continuously review.

I'm the teacher & can't tell you which place to go but I designed to highly, highly advise friends to learn handwriting in the matter of basically 2 idea:

1) Learning symptomatic strokes & writing by hand means that you can recognize the pieces & shapes. Above a big complicated portion, you start to view it as 2 or 3 pieces that combine down into one, which made recall easier with me.

2) The associated with handwriting makes you concentrate on individual words & the physical process helps maintain memories. I'm convinced of importance vocalization, without a dilemma.

I think that handwriting, concentrated 'visualization' & spaced-repetition software that all be combined considering that most effective reduction. But for everyone, they are even less effective when used separately.

If you're sick of retaining new roles, spend a couple weeks incorporating handwriting & I bet there'll be a difference.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment